Lately, I’ve felt like my eyes are about to pop out of my head with all the GORGEOUS wrapping that’s been doing the rounds. Have you seen the stuff on Pinterest? Totally my kind of eye-candy… I could drool over that stuff for days.
So when I was contacted by Rachel from Lines Across to be part of her Gift Wrap Blogging Series, I jumped right on board that train! This fall, she launched Let’s Wrap Stuff, a website devoted to all things gift wrap related. To celebrate its launch, Rachel challenged me and a select group of talented bloggers to come up with a creative gift wrap idea using plain kraft paper.
The challenge was to creatively wrap a plain brown or white paper package… um, hellooo ALL the possibilities. For awhile I was just stumped with the many directions you could take this. Then I finally settled on an idea and here we are!
I’m totally stoked to be joining with some of my fave bloggers to share some festive gift wrapping with you today. Don’t forget to hop on down to the end of this post to see what everyone else came up with for the challenge… there’s so many wonderful ideas in there you’ll be set for many Christmases to come!
- Balsa wood
- Paint and/or washi tape
- Painter’s tape
- PVA/wood glue
- White or kraft wrapping paper
- A gift! 🙂
Cut your balsa wood into strips (mine were just over a 1cm in width) using a pair of scissors If you’re a bit of a perfectionist like me, you can measure out the strips first using a pencil and ruler. Or you can wing it – a little variation in width would suit the look of the trees just fine.
Initially, the strips will all be the same length. Assemble them one above the other and trim bits off the ends so that each strip is shorter than the one below it. As you trim, your strips should start to form a tree shape.
Once you’ve cut all the strips to size, it’s time to decorate them! I used striped washi tape initially, applying a bit here and there to add some pattern to my trees.
I also added some pink paint for colour. If you’re going to paint in stripes like I did, mask off each section you want to paint with painter’s tape and then use a small paint brush to add your colour.
Once your strips are decorated, add a bit of PVA/wood glue to the back of each one.
Then stick them down onto your gift in the shape of a tree. To finish things off, use a small off-cut of balsa wood at the bottom to make the tree trunk and glue a sequin star at the top.
Ta da! Tell me that isn’t a fun way to wrap your Christmas gifts. You could even get the kiddies involved – just cut the strips for them and let them decorate to their heart’s content 🙂
ps. Don’t forget to check out the other amazing gift projects in this collab – the full list is below for your wrapping pleasure 🙂
1. Pom Pom Ice Cream Cone Gift Wrap by Let’s Wrap Stuff
2. Embroidered Wrapping Paper by Lines Across
3. Holiday Lights Gift Wrap by Burlap and Blue
4. Printable DIY Watercolor Gift Tags by Dawn Nicole
5. Chalkboard Painted Wrapping Paper by The Winthrop Chronicles
6. Let it Snow Neighbor Gift Printable by Ginger Snap Crafts
7. Upcycled Cardboard Gift Tags 3 Ways by Eat. Sleep. Make.
8. Kraft Paper Gift Card Envelope Printables by Delia Creates
9. Make + Give Christmas Tree Gift Topper by Make and Tell
10. DIY Wrench Wrapping Paper by Maker Mama
11. DIY Stamped Trees Gift Wrap by Shaken Together Life
12. Brown Paper Packages by Delineate Your Dwelling
13. Yarn Tassel Gift Wrap 2 Ways by Hands Occupied
14. Holiday Writing with Washi Tape by Club Chica Circle
15. Glitter-Dipped Gift Tags by The Thinking Closet
16. Coffee Container Christmas Gift Tags by Simply Kelly Designs
17. Gift Wrapping Ideas by C.R.A.F.T.
18. Holiday Gift Wrap Ideas by Making Home Base
19. Sewn Brown Paper Gift Card Gift Giving by Dream a Little Bigger
20. Chalkboard Gift Tag & Ornament by Tried and True
21. Easy Holly Ornament Gift Tag by Rae Gun Ramblings
22. Printable Hand-Lettered Christmas Tags by Persia Lou
23. Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas by Eighteen25
24. Washi Tape Christmas Tree Gift Card Box by That’s What Che Said